600 Somerset Avenue
Windber, PA 15963
What is Adult Speech Therapy?
Adult speech therapy is a specialized service focusing on providing assessments and treatment to patients with speech-language, cognition, and swallowing disorders, including those related to stroke, traumatic brain injury, Parkinson’s disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, and Alzheimer’s Disease, to name a few.
What do we do?
Strategies are tailored for each individual’s challenges, and may focus on:
- Cognition: Focuses on communication, attention, memory, and problem solving
- Speech: Aimed at articulation, fluency, and voice characteristics
- Language: Targets comprehension, oral and written communication, word-finding abilities, language processing, and augmentative/alternative communication methods
- Swallowing: Evaluates chewing and swallowing ability
- Voice: Addresses respiratory needs for speech, affecting vocal qualities such as hoarseness and volume
- Dysphagia: Focuses on improving overall swallowing safety, which can be done through various treatment options such as oral-motor exercises, sensory stimulation, diet modification, compensatory techniques, and Modified Barium Swallow Studies
Do you cough and/or choke when eating or drinking, have a wet sounding voice when eating or drinking, or suffer from frequent respiratory infections? Ask your doctor if a Modified Barium Swallow Evaluation is right for you.