Aerobics & Yoga Class Descriptions
Classes are located in Windber Place on the 5th floor, next to Windber Hospice.
- Balance Basics – This class will teach strengthening and balance exercises utilizing proper progression and sequencing. The goal is to improve balance and stability, and prevent falls. Participants will also learn about all sensory systems essential for balance. Basic agility skills will also be incorporated.
- Healing Yoga – This class is moderately active with emphasis on restoration of flexibility, strength, and balance. Special attention will be given to relaxation techniques and stress management.
- Progression and Power – Progression and Power is a strength training class that will help you see the benefits of lifting weights. Each class will be different enough to keep you engaged, but will have enough of the same exercises to be able to track your progression. Don’t want to get big bulky muscles? Don’t worry – Try the class!
- Rebuilding Bone, Balance, and Strength – Are you at risk for osteopenia or osteoporosis? Is your balance and/or your strength NOT what it used to be? We will use a mix of exercises, yoga poses, qi gong, and dance movements to re-build some of what we’ve lost throughout the years. Occasional nutrition tips and recipes will be included to round out this holistic approach to rebuilding our bones, our balance, and our strength.
- Renegade Rowing – Rower ergometers depend on the user to give more effort to achieve a lower level. Renegade Rowing utilizes the rower and various other exercise techniques to challenge members at any fitness level.
- Tai Chi – Improve balance, build muscle strength, accelerate healing, and reduce the negative effects of chronic pain and stress through the gentle movements of tai chi and qigong. Drawing on movements from Yang-style tai chi, Integral tai chi can be done standing or seated. Classes incorporate gentle movement and breathing practices to build lung health, self-applied massage to increase energy, and deep relaxation practices to help normalize blood pressure and reduce stress hormones.
- Yoga 1 – This is a moderately active, low impact class. You’ll put your joints through a full range of motion to improve flexibility, strength, and stamina. Must be able to get up and down on the floor.
- Yoga 2 – This class is a combination of Yoga 1 & Yoga 2. It is a very active, but low impact class. You’ll put your joints through a full range of motion to improve flexibility, with a focus on building strength and stamina.
- Wake Up with Yoga – This is an active class. It is low impact, putting joints through a full range of motion to improve flexibility.
- Yoga for Every Body – This is a slower-paced, prop-assisted class where participants are encouraged to be very attentive to their own individual limitations and abilities. Yoga poses and movements encourage flexibility, balance, range of motion, and stress management.
Aerobics & Yoga Schedule